A festive, aromatic saffron vanilla cake to impress your guests with its unique golden flavours. Persian cuisine features amazing desserts using the finest quality saffron. Persians flavour cakes and sweets with the flavours they love: saffron, rosewater, pistachio and honey.
Saffron CakeCourse: DessertCuisine: PersianDifficulty: Easy
2 cups of White Flour
1 cup of Sugar
1 cup of 1 cup Oil
1 cup of Yogurt
1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
2 teaspoon of Baking Powder
Coconut Powder for your taste (optional)
Pistachio Powder for your taste (optional)
- Ingredients for Syrup
1 teaspoon Gozie Saffron
1 cup of Water
1 cup of Sugar
1/4 cup of Rose Water
1/4 teaspoon of Cardamom Powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes. Mix the oil and sugar well so that it becomes creamy and the sugar dissolves completely in the oil.
- Then add the eggs one by one and stir well with a mixer (the amount of stirring greatly affects the quality of the cake. Mix for about 1 min after adding each egg). Stirring the eggs is very important as they should foam well. Foams are air gaps that cause the cake to puff.
- Add cardamom powder, then add yogurt (it must be sweet) to the mixture and stir well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Add the flour mixed with baking powder to the egg mixture little by little and stir with a spoon well to make sure there is no lumps in the final mixture.
- Put a sheet of baking paper in a tray and grease it. Pour the cake mixture in the tray. It is important that the oven with a temperature of 180 degree Celcius must be heated 15 minutes earlier. Put the tray in the oven and wait until the cake gets ready which may take up to 50 minutes depending on the cake thickness and oven.
- Now you have to prepare the syrup. It does not have to be thick. Mix the water, sugar and saffron and boil for 10 minutes, then add cardamom powder, and finally add the rose water.
- Use a toothpick to test the baking of the cake. If nothing sticks to the toothpick, the cake is baked and you can broil it for about 3 minutes to make it golden.
- You must wait for both the cake and the syrup to cool down to room temperature. Once cooled, cut the cake with a sharp knife and pour the syrup (sharbat) on the cake so that the whole cake is absorbs the syrup (sharbat).
Finally, place the cake pieces in a serving dish and garnish with pistachio and coconut powder. Enjoy it!
This post is also available in: Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)